Chromecast is Google’s effort to get a stronghold over the digital streaming market. With everything moving from conventional cable TV to the web-based programming, it would have been a bit awkward not to see Google with a streaming device. Google has contributed big time to the evolution of the digital world, and it has been the beacon of light for those who believe in ‘IoT’.
Google Chromecast came like a lightning that galloped the entire world in a short period of time. Google Chromecast, unlike its main competitors, is a lightweight, compact device, which gives an impression of a flash drive, but in reality, it is nothing like it. Google Chromecast is a streaming device that is streaming media player capable of streaming high definition videos from an internet source to an output device, which could be a TV, laptop, PC or a projector screen.
Google has launched two models of Chromecast, a basic model that only streams videos in HD quality and Chromecast Ultra, which supports 4K as well as HDR video. Chromecast Ultra is also equipped with a built-in Ethernet adapter.
The functioning of Google Chromecast is different from other streaming devices. Where in other streaming devices, apps or channels can be installed within the device, Chromecast would require a support from the Chromecast app for the same purpose. Or, content can be streamed from Google Chrome browser, but that would be more like screen-mirroring than streaming. Google Chromecast app is available for both Android as well as iOS devices, so you can download the app and get started with the streaming process.
What is Google Chromecast capable of doing?
Google Chromecast is not less than any other streaming device, but it’s just that the operation of Chromecast is different from others. Still, it is capable of providing an effective doze of entertainment to its users. You can use Chromecast for a number of tasks:
Watch Streaming Videos: Besides streaming videos that you buy from Google Play Store, Chromecast is capable of streaming videos from a number of streaming devices such as Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBO Go/HBO Now, ESPN and so on. Although, you won’t be able to stream videos from Amazon Video. Make sure you have an account on all these streaming apps in order to stream their content through Chromecast.
Listen To Streaming Audio: Google Chromecast allows you to play music from an assortment of popular music services such as Google Music, iHeart Radio, Pandora, and Spotify.
Mirror your PC & Android Device Screens on your Television: In order to do this, you will have to install Google Chrome Browser on your computer or Google Home app on your Android device. Then, you can mirror the entire screen on your TV. But, if you are mirroring screens, then you won’t be able to do any other task on the device from which the content is being mirrored. Casting, on the other hand, allows you to do other tasks with the main content played on the TV screen.
Chromecast Setup on TV
Chromecast connect to TV
Start with connecting the device to the TV. The HDMI port of your TV will be used to connect Google Chromecast. Connect the device into the HDMI port and the USB wire into a compatible port or a power outlet. If using 4K-compatible Chromecast Ultra, then you will have to connect the adapter to an outlet because the USB port won’t be able to supply enough power to sustain the device.
Download ‘Google Home’ app
You can acquire the app through the Google Play Store (if using Android) or Apple App Store (if using an Apple device). The app will come preinstalled on most Android devices.
If using Google Chromecast with a computer, then no need to install the ‘Google Home’ app, as Google Chrome would do the job smoothly.
Turn on the TV now and select the right input. Although, it is possible for you to go through the majority of the setup process without it.
Select ‘Devices’ in Google Home
Select ‘Devices’, an option that you can get in the upper right corner of the screen. You may get a prompt at the bottom of the screen to set up a new device, so you can click that as well.
Select ‘Set Up’
The Google Home app is going to set up Chromecast now. There is nothing for you to do now except to tap ‘Continue’ when prompted.
Check the code against your TV
You will see a code both on the app and TV screen, and if those codes match, select ‘Yes’.
Choose a name
You can select a name for your device along with adjusting privacy and guest options.
Connect Chromecast to WiFi
You need to choose a network and connect to it by entering the correct password. This will be done on your mobile device. If you are using Chromecast Ultra, then you have the option of connecting it to the internet through Ethernet cable. Make sure that Chromecast is connected to the same network as that of apps. If Chromecast wont connect to the internet, then check if you have entered the right password or is the network available.
Sign into your Google Account
Although this is an optional step, if you do sign into your Google account, then you will have a complete access to all of your YouTube content and movies, music and TV shows that you have purchased.
This was the entire process of Chromecast setup TV, so if you come across any problem while performing these aforementioned steps, then immediately get in touch with Chromecast Tech support.
Google Chromecast Setup Mac
- Connect your Chromecast to HDMI socket on the back of your TV. Connect your USB Micro-B connector into Chromecast dongle and connect USB Type-A connector into the spare USB port on the TV. If your TV doesn’t have a USB port, then you can make use of the power cube provided by Google to plug the power portion of Google Chromecast into an electrical outlet within proximity. Turn on the TV now, and make sure that the input source to the HDMI channel corresponds to the HDMI socket that Chromecast is connected. A number of advanced TVs are going to switch inputs automatically after they detect a new device.
- Google Chromecast Setup: In order to successfully set up the device, you will have to connect it to a Wi-Fi network on your Mac. The Wi-Fi network needs to be same on which your Mac and other devices are connected. Keep in mind that Google Chromecast requires a constant network connection to operate properly.
- Software Setup: Launch your Google Chrome browser and go to ‘Chromecast com setup’ link. Now, download Chromecast DMG by clicking the download button followed by installing the Chromecast setup app for Mac. Don’t forget to agree to the license terms followed by clicking the ‘Accept’ button. As you click the ‘Accept’ button, the app is going to search for available Chromecast devices connected to the network. If Google Chromecast not connecting to WiFi, then switch your Mac’s Wi-Fi network to 2.4 GHz mode instead of 5 GHz or mixed. Now, you need to configure the device by clicking the ‘Set Up’ button. Right next to your Chromecast, you need to click the setup button followed by selecting your country from the dropdown list. You will see a code on the Chromecast app, which needs to be the same as the one displayed on the TV screen. This is the process to activate Chromecast on your Mac. Make sure that you double-check the codes prior to clicking the ‘that’s my code button’ because you don’t want to pair to another Chromecast in the house. Once you’re connected, you will see a confirmation message on the Mac and TV, i.e., ‘Congratulations! You are ready to cast’.
- Setup Chromecast on Mac: You need to configure Chromecast to connect to the Wi-Fi network, and once you have done that, you will get an invitation message from Chromecast app to install the Chromecast browser extension. Click the blue ‘Get Cast Extension’ button followed by clicking ‘Add Button’. You will see a confirmation message popping up on the screen followed by Google Chromecast icon appearing in the toolbar of Chrome browser on the Mac.
Chromecast Setup Windows Computer/Laptop
- Go to ‘Cromecast com setup link from Google Chrome browser on your computer. Make sure that Chrome browser is updated to the latest version.
- Click ‘Set up Chromecast using this computer’.
- Google Chrome finds Chromecast devices that are to be set up.
- When you see the Chromecast name on the TV screen that matches the name of your Chromecast, then click ‘Set Me Up’.
- Read ‘Privacy & Terms’ and then, click ‘Accept’.
- Setup will automatically try to connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot produced by Google Chromecast. If you didn’t find Chromecast setup Wifi, then you need to take help of experts.
- Click ‘Next’.
- You will see a code on your computer, which should match the code appearing on the TV. If both codes match, click ‘Yes’.
- You can now change the name of your Chromecast device, select your country and at last, click ‘Looks Good’.
- Select your Wi-Fi network by clicking upside down arrow. Enter the password for the network followed by clicking ‘Connect’.
- If the device is connected to the internet, click ‘Next’.
- Upon completion of the Chromecast setup PC, you will see a list of available Cast devices.
- You can now cast from your Google Cast setup app or use ‘cast a tab’ from Google Chrome browser on your computer.
Chromecast Setup iPhone/iPad
- The setup process begins with plugging in Chromecast device to the power outlet. After that, Chromecast needs to be connected into the HDMI port of the HDTV using an HDMI cable. Make sure that the input selected on the TV corresponds to the port in which the device is inserted. You will see a ‘set me up’ box on the TV screen if the right input is selected on the TV. Also, make sure that the router and the wireless connection is working properly.
- Now, set up Chromecast app on Apple iPhone/iPad. You can download the app from the App Store. After downloading the app, don’t launch it until you have turned the Bluetooth on. You should use Bluetooth to set up a Google Chromecast. Launch the app now and accept ‘privacy and terms’ after reading them.
- Configure Google Chromecast using Bluetooth by selecting your Chromecast device from the list of devices you see on your iPhone. You can check out the Chromecast device ID on the TV screen. After selecting the device, tap ‘set up’ followed by ‘Next’. Chromecast app will now configure your device. After a few minutes, a new screen will appear on the TV. A code will appear which you need to match with the code that is displayed on your Google Cast app. If the code matches, tap ‘I see the code’.
- Configuring Google Chromecast without using Bluetooth
- Tap ‘Devices’ and then, tap ‘Add a new device’.
- Choose the device you want to set up.
- Go to iPhone settings followed by selecting ‘Wi-Fi’.
- Select to the pseudo-Wi-Fi network that is created by your Chromecast.
- Return to the app and you are going to see your device listed. Tap ‘Next’.
If you are unable to connect Google Chromecast with Apple iPhone, then reach out for Chromecast help instead of figuring things out on your own.
Since Google Chromecast is an electronic device, it can’t stay immune to technical errors. Any missed step while setting up of the device or any fault in the settings could result in an ill-operating device.
Here are some of the most common issues that people come across in Google Chromecast:
- Unable to connect PC to Chromecast.
- Chromecast won’t cast.
- Chromecast not connecting to Wi-Fi.
- Chromecast not working with Mac computer.
- Chromecast not showing up despite proper installation.
- Unable to connect to Chromecast through iPhone.
- Unable to connect Chromecast to the internet using Ethernet cable.
- Can’t stream anything through Chromecast.
- Can’t download Google Cast app.
- Google Chromecast not configuring with Google Cast app.
- Can’t perform Chromecast update for its app.
- Unable to use screen mirroring feature using Google Chrome browser.
For all these and dozens of other problems, you can get in touch with our Google Chromecast help and support facility. Getting an accurate solution and that too, within a short frame of time is essential otherwise, one problem leads to another and by the time you call for help, you see a number of issues stacked up. The quicker you call at Chromecast support, the better it will be for you.